Saturday, September 08, 2007

Domestic Violence Awareness Campaign


Soon summer will come to a close and the unbearable heat and excitement of outdoor cook-outs and vacationing will be on the back burner for many of us. The leaves will change into a collage of vibrant colors and fall will breach the horizon taking us into a new season.

In the midst of our transitioning, we will not even realize that while we are making the necessary adjustments for the new season somewhere there is a woman, a child and even a man who is facing a dangerous and harsh reality every single second, minute or hour of the day regardless of what is happening with the seasons.

Domestic violence never takes a vacation and never ceases to halt for any one of the four seasons. Throughout the year,we have lost many to the senseless killings that evolve out of domestic violence. A great many of them go unreported.

I can never forget. My loved one is no longer here on this earth because of all this senseless killing. We hear it everyday on the radio on 103.9 FM that it starts with me and it starts with you. I started my campaign after the death of my sister in law who was murdered on December 30, 2004 while I was penning my novel, A Woman Scorn'd. December 2, 2005 commerated the launch of my "speaking out against domestic violence campaign." These first steps for me were hard but necessary.

I am moving forward this year. My goal is to reach as many as I can to help me get the word out and to speak out against the "violence." We need to silence the killing, not our loved ones.
Please join me this year in assisting the shelters with outpouring support to provide awareness on a topic that needs greater national attention. I challenge you to reach out and think of the people who face danger every waking moment of their lives.

October is the designated month for Domestic Violence. I encourage you to visit my website: www.dorothygoins. com to learn more about my campaigning for October 2007. The information will be posted and updates will be on the site beginning in the month of September.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger MargHamp said...

I know the ravages of domestic violence from close up, as well as the story of a friend who escaped a medical doctor husband who became addicted to prescription drugs, violent, was removed from home on more than one occasion, framed her for a nonsense "stalking" and almost had her killed with torture in solitary confinement where she was deprived of the special diet she needed to live (she had a stroke while there)... all while his police record totally disappeared ... and the judges covered for the sheriff's department (on drugs he provided?)... and a judge was going to mandate her institutionalization for psychotrophic drugs... which they KNEW would kill her, given her rare medical condition!

When you finish your current novel, I can introduce you to my friend. Her tale will give you great material for a new novel. She is alive today only because she fled far away...

There is so much more. We see it every day. I, too, almost died... but that tale is not yet ready to be told (for the sake of my son).

I join you in the battle against Domestic Violence and to increase Domestic Violence Awareness!

Marg H - Caregiver-007
http://hubpages.com/hub/caregiverburnout
http://homehealthcarebooks.com/healthcareblog/

12/15/2007 2:12 PM  
Blogger Dorothy Goins said...

Marg,

Thank you for what you shared. I hope more people will join in the battle against Domestic Violence.

2/16/2008 7:24 PM  
Blogger jetta said...

Being ah victim of D.V.I encourage
anyone who's being abused to know that there is life after D.V. I survied so can you!


jetta

4/30/2008 7:41 PM  
Blogger Dorothy Goins said...

Thanks for sharing Ladies, it is so imperative that we continue to spread awareness on this topic.

12/20/2008 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home